Monday, November 19, 2007

November 19, 2007







heffect@infinet.net



Dear Friend:



On Tuesday I voted to end the war in Iraq. Finally, the House of Representatives passed a bill that provides money solely for the purpose of withdrawing our troops from Iraq. Though the bill, HR 4156, must leap high hurdles in the Senate and again at the White House, I am proud to have cast my vote to get out of Iraq and bring home our troops.



The bill passed 218-203 and joining me in this vote were my strong anti-war colleagues such as Rep. Barbara Lee and Rep. Lynn Woolsey. The majority of 'no' votes were cast by Republican members. During debate the dividing line between the opponents of the bill and the proponents were clear: this vote meant the difference between staying in Iraq with no exit strategy or getting out. I voted to get out and I was pleased to see the bill pass. If you are interested in viewing my participation in the floor debate, click here.



In addition to providing funds to pay for bringing home our troops, the bill requires

- That troops begin to leave Iraq in 30 days, and all troops be brought home no later than December 31, 2008.

- That no troops be sent to Iraq unless they have proper equipment and training.

- That no torture shall be employed by any American personnel.



Though this bill has a tough road ahead, I want to assure you that I am committed to ending the war in Iraq and bringing home our troops. The House vote on Tuesday night, in my mind, is a step toward making that happen.



Sincerely,

SAM FARR

Member of Congress



SF/rd



Please be sure to visit my website at www.farr.house.gov.

No comments: